Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Blog Post #6: What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning from Randy Pausch?
Randy Pausch gave this lecture on September 18, 2007. When he gave this lecture he had been diagnosed with cancer with only a few months left to live. He looks amazingly healthy in the video and is an amazing speaker. His lecture is inspiring. The purpose is to learn "how you can achieve your dreams or enable the dreams of others."
What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning from Randy Pausch?
1. Have fun in everything you do.
2. Learn from rejection, and keep trying.
3. Through hard work, and persistence childhood dreams can come true.
4. When doing something for the first time, things will go wrong, but the end product can still be amazing.
5. Use a project based curriculum - the best projects have students learn really hard concepts without the students realizing it because they are having fun.
6. Don't set limits on projects, let the students work to their full potential.
7. Give students an audience so they can be excited about their work.
8. Have a goal to get students to self reflect.
9. As a teacher we have the ability to help students on their path to fulfill their childhood dreams.
10. "We learn from our students."